22 July 2014

Basic Pancakes from Scratch


Last year I posted my recipe for Vegan pancake recipe but realized that it's not a very simple or accessible recipe.  It has a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps that many cooks who are hurrying in the morning probably don't want to bother with.  

I don't always make my pancakes Vegan, only about 1/3 of the time because they do take a while.  Most of the time I make this basic scratch pancake recipe.  It's quick, has only 7 ingredients (all of which are pantry staples), and allows for customization with easy optional add-ins.   

So now I have two pancake recipes on this blog, which might seem like a lot considering there are maybe only 15 recipes on here thus far, but, I make pancakes at least once a week.  I have never bought a boxed pancake mix and I have promised myself that I never will.  Boxed mixes cost too much, are full of preservatives, and take almost the same amount of time as these basic scratch pancakes, plus homemade food always tastes so much better. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Scratch Pancakes

1 C.flour (whole wheat or white)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C. to 1 C. milk (can use almond, soy, or regular milk)
2 Tbsp. oil
1 egg, whisked

Optional add-ins:
1/2 tsp. cloves or allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. flax seed, wheat germ, or chia seeds
2 Tbsp. nuts, dried fruit, granola, or rolled oats


1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. If you are adding any of the optional ingredients, add them to this mixture.
2. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.  
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry mixture until just moistened. If the batter is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time to thin it. You may need more milk if you added any optional ingredients. 
4.  Heat a skillet to medium and add cooking spray.  Add pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls  and cook for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and sides are no longer wet. 

Serve with syrup, jam, or butter. 

**Note:  These freeze well and can be reheated for a quick breakfast.  Wrap stacked pancakes in waxed paper, then in foil.  Remove from foil and microwave each pancake for 1 minute.**



For more recipes, browse the Recipe Box.   



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I love home made pancakes, I made them for so long when my children were little. Now there are commercial ones, but still love home made. I will try your recipe.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.