19 September 2013

Lemon and Herb Roasted Potatoes


When we planted our garden this year we planted a few different types of potatoes--red, Russett, purple, blue, and Yukon Gold.  There were probably 16-20 plants and each yielded about 8 pounds, maybe more, of potatoes. I harvested 6 plants one afternoon and posted this picture on my Facebook page.

 
 
One of my friends asked what I was going to do with all those potatoes.  My response: eat them.  
 
I've always loved potatoes indiscriminately.  As a little girl, some days mashed potatoes with brown gravy was the only thing my parents could get me to eat.  Even when I was pregnant with all-day sickness (morning sickness never ended) and couldn't keep anything down and had no appetite, mashed potatoes and gravy saved me.  My boss would make a quick drive to KFC and get the little sides of potatoes for me so I could keep working.  
But we don't just love mashed potatoes; in fact, we hardly ever make them because Ellie doesn't like them (weird).  Instead, we turn our potatoes into hashed browns, baked fries, add them to soups and stews, put them in hobo packets,  eat them as simple baked potatoes, or make this delicious side recipe, Lemon and Herb Roasted Potatoes. 
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Lemon and Herb Roasted Potatoes
 
4-5 cups chopped potatoes, with skin
1 Tbsp. herb-infused olive oil (I use Sotto Voce's Olio Basilico)
1 tsp. dried, crushed rosemary (or use 2 tsp. fresh rosemary)
2 tsp. lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
 
Note: If you don't have any herb-infused olive oil, substitute with T Tbsp. oil and 2 tsp. dried Italian herbs, or about 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs
 
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 glass roasting pan or baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. 
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and coat potatoes well. 
3. Spread potatoes evenly on pan and bake for 1 hour.  At the every end of baking time, broil on high for 1-2 minutes (watching very closely) to brown and crisp the tops of the potatoes.
 
Serves 4-6. 
 
For more recipes, browse the Recipe Box
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.