05 August 2013

Sugar-Free Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Chia, Flax, and Oatmeal


For the last month, almost every day, I've eaten zucchini for lunch and dinner. Steamed, roasted, broiled, mixed with other veggies, and on top of rice or in pasta--zucchini for almost every, single meal. We've yielded about a zucchini a day from the garden and I told Matt that I'd never get tired of eating it because I LOVE zucchini. 


 Well, I got tired of it. 

Instead of picking every ready zucchini we let a couple of them grow. From these monster zucchinis I like to make bread--two to three batches per zucchini. I use the whole vegetable--skin, seeds, everything (minus the ends)--and mush it all up in a blender. You'll never notice. 
 
I'm usually hesitant to make zucchini bread, even though I like it, because quick breads in my opinion aren't really bread. They're cake. Quick bread recipes are full of sugar, oil, and eggs--bread should be flour and water and yeast.  That being said, I love quick breads, especially pumpkin, banana, and zucchini, but I want them to be healthier.  I've always used my grandma's zucchini bread recipe but I decided that I can't take a healthy zucchini and cover it with 2 cups of sugar and an entire cup of oil.   I just can't do it any longer--I feel too guilty.  I had the same problem with banana bread and muffins
 
To replace my unhealthy recipe, I made up my own healthy zucchini bread recipe with whole wheat, flax, chia, egg whites, honey, and oatmeal. It's healthy, it's filling, it's wonderful, and it's a great way to use up all those extra zucchinis from your garden.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sugar-Free Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Chia, Flax, and Oatmeal

3 1/2 - 4 C. pureed zucchini (about 5 cups grated)
4 egg whites
1/2 C. honey
1/4 C. oil  (or use 1/4 C. unsweetened applesauce)
4 tsp. vanilla

Put in blender and blend until smooth.

In separate bowl, mix;

3 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 C. ground flax seed
3 Tbsp. wheat germ
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
2 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
12 packets Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

3/4 to 1 C. old fashioned oatmeal, reserved

Add wet ingredients and mix well.  Put in greased loaf pans and cover tops with old fashioned oatmeal.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  For smaller loaf pans (1-cup capacity), bake for 30 minutes; for muffins, bake for 15-17 minutes.

Makes 3 large loaves, 6 small loaves, or about 2 dozen muffins.


For more recipes, browse the Recipe Box.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.