19 June 2013

A granola recipe

I'm going to be honest here and admit that this is cliché. Our family is jokingly referred as "granolas" by all our friends and family. You know the type: people who drive hybrid cars, have a compost pile and garden, recycle, hug trees, eat lots of natural foods, flash peace signs like it's the hottest new fad---general hippie stuff. 

Well, we also love to eat homemade granola. Yes, cliché.  I warned you. 

Cliché as it is, it's the truth. Granola is delicious and we love it (even the store-bought kind). But there's something about homemade granola that feels good--like making your own bread or eating spinach straight from the garden. It's earthy, simple, good. 

What I love most about making my own is that I can add whatever I want to the mix.  If I feel like lots of dried fruit I can make it with raisins, dates, dried cranberries. If I want a lot of crunch I use all nuts (like I did in the photos).  It keeps well in mason jars, makes a quick on-the-go healthy and energy-packed snack, and can be whipped up and ready to eat in less than 45-minutes. 

Now you don't have to be granola-y or a hippie or anything like that to make this. Don't let my stereotyping scare you away.  Try it--you'll wonder what you've been missing all this time.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Granola

1 1/2 C. old fashioned oatmeal

1/2 C. 5-grain cereal
1 C. almonds, walnuts, or cashews (toasted)
1/2 C. pumpkin kernels
1/2 C. toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 C.  dried fruit or other type of nut
1/2 C.  dried fruit, nuts, seeds, or extra grains
1/4 C. toasted wheat germ
Scant 1/4 c. cooking oil
3/4 C. honey or agave nectar
Dash of cinnamon

1.  Mix oats, nuts and grains in a large bowl. Measure oil into cup a swirl around before adding to bowl.  Measure honey into same cup (the honey will slide ride out). Add cinnamon. Toss everything together until evenly coated and pour onto baking sheet or roasting pan (coated lightly with cooking spray). 
 2. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring gently with spatula every 10 minutes.  Granola will be an even, golden brown when ready. 
3. Once finished cooking, return granola to bowl and add dried fruit and stir to combine.
**These are best stored in air-tight mason jars.
 

For more recipes, browse the Recipe Box.



1 comment:

  1. I like that you're "granola". We do a few things at home to be more earth friendly- like recycling, starting a small garden, using reusable bags at the grocery store- but I know I can always do more. Thanks for the inspirations to eat more healthy and be earth friendly. I have tried and liked your banana muffin and pancake recipes. I guess this granola one is next. :)

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.