18 March 2013

Rainbows

Last weekend, my mom's sweet little dog, Baby, died. Ellie loved that dog and wanted to do something special for my mom. So, we decided to paint a memorial rock for my mom to keep in her flower garden.  
While we painted, we talked about grief, loss, and life and it reminded Ellie of her Great-Grandma Cook who passed away in September.  Death is a difficult idea to grasp at any age, but at 5 it's real and yet foreign.  The absence of death is felt, so is the sadness, but the reality is still incomprehensible.  The body is temporary, this life is temporary, and I remind Ellie that because of this, we have to make the most of every day, of every moment. We must be kind, we must be selfless, we must appreciate those around us. And I think she's starting to understand.  Losing Baby was just a reminder of this fragile existence.

The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched.
-Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.