06 July 2011

The sweetest book ever: Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

For Mother's Day this year I gave a copy of this book to both my mom and my mother-in-law, and also kept one for myself.  My grandma had this book at the bottom of her bedroom trunk and sometimes she'd get it out and read it to her children and grandchildren.  As a child I found it cute and a just a little sad.  As a mother, it makes me cry.
 
This weekend I got it out and read it to Ellie as a bedtime story.  Maybe it was my emotions, maybe hormones, maybe love--whatever--but I opened the book, read the first couple of words and started crying. I cried all the way through it and sat and cried when it was finished. 

After I left the room I could hear her saying:
"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be."

Love You Forever captures the life-long bond between parent child while at the same time portraying the bitter-sweet swift nature of life. It is the sweetest book I have ever read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.