05 July 2011

No-Pectin Mango Jam

Over the weekend my dear friend gave me three beautifully ripe mangoes.  I knew I wouldn't be able to eat them all before they over-ripened, so I made mango jam.


The recipe I modified and technique I used came from allrecipes.com. What I love most about this technique is that it doesn't call for pectin and you don't really have to go through the method of cooking the jars in a canning pot if you don't want to. If you have mangoes, some sugar, and an empty glass jar and lid, you can make this jam.

Since I only had three mangoes, this is what I used:

3 mangoes
2/3 c. sugar
3/8 c. water
1 saffron thread (optional)

Note: My modified recipe only makes a single 8-ounce jar of jam.

1. Boil the mangoes until soft. Cool, then peel and remove the pit.  Mash with a fork or potato masher.

2.  Over low heat, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Once boiling, increase temperature and boil until the temperature reaches 270 on a candy thermometer.  Be careful here--a few seconds too long results in hardened  sugar. (I know from experience.)


3. Stir in mangoes and saffron. Cook until thickened--about 6 minutes.
4. Pour into sterilized jar, add lid and ring. If you're storing this in your fridge, you're done and can skip step 5.
5. Cook in canner for 15-20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
 Even though this only made one jar, I did this method because I wasn't ready to eat the jam yet and wanted to store it in my pantry.
 




Enjoy!


For more recipes, browse the Recipe Box.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment, say hello, offer a suggestion, or write a little poem--whatever suits your fancy.